Sunday, May 10, 2009

i try not to let school get in the way of my education.

Will I be coming Back to Africa?

In a spiritual sense?

In a physical sense?

Why did I come Back?

I came because my body, mind, and spirit did not like what it was interacting with
in the United States. It needed peace. It needed comfort. Most importantly,
it needed to experience another reality, in order to assess if its previous lifestyle was the healthiest choice.

So much about the American lifestyle is sick. At least I know what makes me sick,
what dampens my spirit and traps my mind.

Materialism. This is different from comfort. There is nothing wrong with having what you need and maybe a little bit more sometimes. Having the things that make you happy. But when you begin to be defined by them, accumulate status by them, that is the problem. If I happen to have "things" that other people could see as "valuable," I want to count them as additional blessings to an internal wealth of health, love, and freedom.

Prejudice. A disconnect from Humanity. I needed to live in an all-Black country and see Black people running things, living ordinary lives. To deepen my ever-so-dwindling faith in humanity, curtailed by the prejudice I've experienced in the US. Of course, Ghana is shadowed by the US and all things West, and I never think I
will be able to or even want to escape Western influence. At the end of the day,
I lived in a Black country, on a Black continent.

Misinterpretation. I came into this world confident in my definition and place. I was educated by society to hate myself or not even exist. As a Black American, you will be isolated, insulted, or ignored entirely. This is the fate of the Diaspora in a racist society. Of course this had an effect on my self-definition. It has
been bounced here and there, ripped and turned and spun around so many times, so
that I could easily lose my way. So the time and connection to my ancestry here
has been key in my process of SELF-definition.

With all of the mixing and interlapping of humans in the modern day and age, it is a mistake to forget and lose the unique integrity, spirit, and tradition of a line of people. One's humanity is preserved through culture, as culture is an articulation
of the spirit of a people. We must not forget where we come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment